Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Larkspur and Lupines

I seeded delphiniums (aka Larkspur) last spring in the cold frame. The seeds that managed to germinate produced plants that didn't look like much and I was more than a little dissapointed that none of them managed even a single bloom. Nonetheless, in late fall I moved them into the flower beds around the fish pond. This spring they began to grow and grow and grow. . .I dug some up and gave them to the neighbor because they were massively overcrowded. . .and they continued to grow and bloom. Some of them are now over six feet tall and producing masses of bloom in shades from white to a dark blue violet.



The Shasta Alaska doesn't seem to mind sharing space with the sky blue delphiniums.


The delicate white delphinium dances with the wind.



This is the last lupine of the season. Its the only survivor of the ones I seeded in the cold frame last spring. The seeds from the blue ones that I collected from my own plant had a far more successful germination. I'm going to save some seed from this one and seed them to the cold frame in the fall and see what I get next spring.

No comments: