Thursday, August 7, 2008

First fruits

The Meteor cherry that bloomed so profusely in the spring is the only one that bore fruit this year. The Montmorency had a few fruit, but the birds got them all, and the Stella only had three and some sort of insect got them. I really didn't expect the Meteor to do all that well because its planted in very poor soil (more sand than soil actually), but it proved me wrong. There weren't enough to do much with except eat them out of hand, but it was only planted last summer (about this time) so any fruit at all is probably a bonus. The cherries are quite tart, and will make an excellent dried fruit once it starts producing more.


As this photo shows, the birds just come on in and help themselves. Next year I'll hang some old DVD's in the fruit trees. I've heard that the movement will keep the birds away.


The gooseberries produced this year as well. Not enough to make a jar of jam, but more than it has in the past so there's hope for next year.



Finally have the first zucchini. I was worried that they were never going to produce a female flower. Now I just have to wait for the rest of the squashes to produce. I hope we get enough warm weather for the buttenuts to produce something.



No comments: