Wednesday, June 11, 2008

more catching up in the garden

The first Irises are blooming. This one opened several days ago. The purple ones below came from Bekki in Manitoba. They are the ones I remember from my childhood. I didn't know they came in any other color till I was in my twenties and gardening myself for the first time.




The buds on this short daylily came up with the leaves.



The alpine poppies are new to the garden. They were planted three weeks ago, and appear to be taking to their new home quite well.


These wild strawberries were growing in the lawn. As a consequence they kept getting cut off by th elawnmower before they ever had fruit. I moved them to the vegetable garden and they're growing and blooming like mad. I have to be diligent in cultivating them or the runners get away from me and I find them turning up all over the place. The fruits are tiny little things, but they are ever so sweet.



No comments: