Monday, June 23, 2008

The last of the irises

Well its the second day of summer, and the spring blooms are almost done. The last of the irises are blooming and we won't see anything more of them till next spring. I guess these ones that belonged to Gate's mother will need some separating because they've managed to fill the space where they are. In a week or two I'll move some of them to a sunny spot on the south side of the house at the back where they'll form the start of a new flower bed.



These can stay as they are for a couple of more years. They have plenty of space to fill for now. The little red spots in the background are some dianthus that I put in just this spring. I put in a scarlet, a crimson, a couple of coral and a white. Once they start to spread out a bit they'll look superb against the rocks that hold the soil in this area.


These little yellow ones just started blooming. They're much shorter than most of the others and always bloom a little later. I have two small patches of them (my mother sent them to me from Manitoba), and hope they increase at the same pace as the ones above. It's rained pretty much every day for three weeks (it seems we'll get as much rain as we did snow) and these really perk up the spirits. The old stump behind them is getting pretty tired. In a year or two I'll be able to dig up what's left of it and put in another flower, but for now it offers a good backdrop for these irises.


This peach colored one is the last of the ones I put in last spring to bloom. I had lost the tag for it and had no idea what color it was going to be. I must say was pleasantly surprised. It only put up a single flower stalk, but in a year or two I hope to be able to divide it and spread its elegant beauty around the rest of the yard. I'd like to see a bed of these combined with the bronze and white ones that I posted last week.



No comments: